Understanding Advanced Driver Assistance Systems
Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) refers to a wide range of technological features and systems incorporated into modern vehicles to assist drivers and enhance safety on the road. ADAS utilizes various sensors, cameras, radars, and other advanced technologies to provide real-time information about the vehicle’s surroundings, monitor road conditions, detect potential hazards, and assist with various driving tasks.
Some Common ADAS Features Include
Adaptive Cruise Control
Lane Departure Warning
Forward collision warning
automatic emergency braking
Blind Spot Detection
Parking assistance systems
Concerns You May Have about ADAS Calibration
Unfortunately, the vast majority of needed calibrations after a repair are either not being recognized, not being addressed, or are being addressed in a way that does not meet the manufacturer required specs. Whether you’re a vehicle owner concerned about the status of the safety systems in your own vehicle, or a repair shop owner/manager looking after the vehicles coming into your shop, here are some common concerns you may have regarding ADAS calibration.
- What proof do I have that my safety systems are working properly?
- Have they been repaired and returned to full original manufacturer’s expected safety standards and function?
- If not, am I at risk of not even knowing that my vehicle’s automated driving and safety systems aren’t working correctly and could fail to function properly in helping to avoid an accident, or worse yet, become the cause of one?
Repair Shop Owners & Managers
- Do I fully understand the liability issues with repairing a car improperly with regard to ADAS systems?
- Do I have the internal ability to correctly assess what each year, make and model vehicle needs, based on its specific repair, in the way of calibration or do I need a vendor partner who can ensure that each vehicle is correctly assessed?
- Do I have the internal ability, the proper equipment, and the correctly configured physical space to conduct the needed calibration work?
- Am I correctly performing the necessary quality control checks and test drives specifically customized based on the calibration work that was needed and performed?
- If not, do I have a vendor that will truly partner with my shop to ensure the correct assessment is made, provide the correct environment in which the calibration should be performed, handle the logistics of moving the vehicle to the properly configured facility, fully calibrate the vehicle back to original manufacturer’s specifications, quality control check the work including a test drive specific to the calibrations, and provide me all the documentation of what was required and performed that enables me to communicate the same to my customer and any insurance carrier involved?